When it comes to building or remodeling a commercial building, you can’t hire any construction company. You need to find a commercial construction company that understands the different aspects of the job. Hill Commercial Construction in Colorado takes you from the very beginning of the process to the final walkthrough. They are professionals with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get your commercial construction project finished safely and beautifully.
How is Commercial Construction Different from Residential Construction?
Building or remodeling a house is simpler than building or remodeling a commercial building. Commercial buildings require special permits, follow special codes and regulations, are often larger and more complicated than residential houses, and have different timeframes and budgeting. Because commercial construction is so complex, it is important that you choose a construction company with experience in the business.
Three Types of Commercial Construction
A commercial construction project can be big, small, or somewhere in-between. To help categorize projects, we refer to them in the following way:
- Small-scale. These commercial projects require less equipment and manpower. A small-scale project could be a renovation of the interior of a commercial building, or fixing a single aspect of the building, such as its roof.
- Medium-scale. These require a higher level of complexity than the small-scale projects. If it involves renovations, it could be adding new rooms or building a second story to the building. It could also be a new construction of a small or medium-sized commercial building. Medium-scale projects typically take several months or a year to finish.
- Large-scale. These are sometimes called “megaprojects” because they involve a great amount of materials, workers, and heavy equipment to complete. Large-scale projects are massive. Designing and building an airport or a large apartment complex would be considered a large-scale project. It could take years before the project is finished.
How is a General Contractor Different from a Commercial Contractor?
A commercial contractor is a type of general contractor that specializes in commercial construction. Commercial contractors have a level of expertise that most general contractors do not have. Commercial contractors know of certain sub-contractors, designers, architects, and other vendors who also know what it takes to design and build a commercial building.
Five Categories of Commercial Construction
It’s good to find out what services a commercial construction company offers. Some specialize in one of the categories below, while others have the capability to do all the categories.
- General Contracting. If a commercial construction company does general contracting, that means it manages the entire construction project, including obtaining all the materials and equipment, hiring employees, and hiring sub-contractors to get the work accomplished.
- Pre-Construction. Pre-construction services occur before any of the physical work happens. Every aspect of the project is forecasted, evaluated, and planned out. This helps others get a realistic idea of how long the project will take, how much it will cost, what could happen under certain conditions, and how the plan might change if there are complications.
- Construction Management. Because commercial construction can be very complex, a tight management system is necessary to control costs and keep the project moving forward. The management system covers all aspects of the project from the planning stages to the design of the building to the actual construction.
- Design Build (DB). If the company is a design-build commercial construction company, it will handle the entirety of your project. You get a single point of contact, and you don’t have to deal with the confusion of hiring multiple contractors to do the various aspects of the job.
- Tenant Improvements and Remodels. This type of commercial construction involves commercially-owned living communities, such as apartment complexes, retirement centers, and condominiums. These types of buildings are a mix of residential and commercial that have their own unique permits and codes.
Examples of Commercial Construction
Here are a few examples of commercial construction buildings:
- Grocery stores
- Retail stores
- Shopping malls
- Hospitals and clinics
- Nursing homes
- Dental offices
- Veterinary offices
- Apartment complexes
- Office buildings
- Corporate locations
- Conference centers
- Sports facilities
- Dance studios
- Indoor pools
This list could go on and on! What kind of commercial building are you planning on building?
Common Commercial Building Types
Certain types of buildings have certain similarities. For example, two different hotels may look completely different from the outside, but they both have similar-sized rooms with a bathroom in each unit. Commercial construction companies may offer their services to design, build, or renovate these common types of buildings:
- Multi-family residences
- Office buildings (Class A, B, and C)
- High-rise or skyscrapers
- Strip malls or shopping centers
- Community retail centers
Are You Interested in Hiring a Commercial Construction Company?
Hill Commercial Construction is based in Denver Colorado and offers all the services you need from the planning stage to the final construction. We add value to each project by truly listening to your ideas and resolving your problems so your project stays true to your vision. Commercial construction is complex and challenging, and that’s how we like it! Find out how much different it can be to work with our professional team. Contact us to let us know how we can help you with your commercial construction project.